Saturday, July 5, 2008

Bike trip on the 4th of July

Click the photos to enlarge.



I was standing in my closet, and I saw my old biking outfit. You know, those spandex shorts and snug fitting shirt. I thought, now that's I've lost weight, I bet I could fit into that. So, I pulled it on and walked outside.

Your family has a way of letting you know when you're a little over the top. Becky said, "Whoa, those are really form fitting aren't they?"

"What? Does it look bad?"

"No, It's just pretty snug."

About that time, Seth sees me and says, "Wow dad, you're um...really aerodynamic."

"Does it look bad?"

No, it's um...aerodynamic."

I went back into the house to change.

Now that I've lost 40lbs, one problem is that I don't have clothes that fit. However, in the same pile where my bike outfit was, there were a pair of shorts that I had obviously squirreled away the last time I gained weight and couldn't fit into them. I guess I should have ironed them to be more aerodynamic.



We biked up to Hiawatha Ave from Lake Nokomis and then over to the Midtown Greenway Bike path. If you've never biked the Greenway, you're missing out on one of the best bike paths in the Twin Cities.

We stopped for lunch on the other side of Lake Calhoun at Seth's recommendation, Punch Neapolitan Pizza.



Everyone but me was very impressed with the pizza. I actually had some, even though I'm watching my carbs (I figured I could splurge with a full day of biking). Frankly, I'd rather have one from a frozen Tombstone Pizza, but I stand alone in my opinion. The others in the group raved about their pizzas.

Punch has a huge wood burning oven. They say it's 800 F degrees, and the pizzas only have to cook for 90 seconds.



While we were sitting there, a really fat guy waddled past in "aerodynamic" bike shorts. Becky started telling Jenn about my bike shorts, but then she said, "...but your dad looked a lot nicer in them than that guy." What the heck? You mean I could have worn them? They were padded in the butt and would have been a lot more comfortable. Oh well.



Our turn-around-and-head-back spot was the the depot, an ice cream joint in Hopkins. It's right off the trail.



Below Seth and Becky and Jackson, Seth's friend, sip some tasty fruit smoothies.



On the way back, we peddled past the canoe area on Lake Calhoun.





While we were there, I ran into Duffy, who I work out with at Bally's gym. He's a cardio fiend! He was on his 4th lap roller blading around the lake. This guy does at least an hour a day of cardio. Amazing.



When we finally made it home, we had biked nearly 25 miles. It was a fun day.

No comments: